Saturday, August 20, 2011

'10 things...you can do with a marble'

The original plan, when this feature was launched, was for a guest post a month. But then the summer took over, I got distracted by a number of changes and things I've been trying to finish off for aeons, and blogging fell a little by the wayside. Having made such great efforts earlier on this year at keeping this thing running and upping the ante over previous years...well, you know how it goes.

Anyway, despite my own lackadaisical efforts of the last month or two, I'm proud to announce Guest Post No. Two, and what a huge heap of fun it is too! It's also taken me a while to get this posted as I simply had to watch all the treats that have been sent my way for the post. Having done so, I'd suggest you either make a drink and give yourself half an hour for the fun and games below or come back to them in bursts - each video is a joy in their own right and is the largest number of videos included in one post here.

I'll leave Sarah to introduce herself, but I will add to her introduction that there is so much about blogging that I've learned from her. There's a lot more other stuff I've learned from her too as a colleague and co-teacher on the same course, but blogging's what we're on about here.

So a big thanks to Sarah, and enjoy what you find here!

***

Now, first off, thank you Dom, for inviting me over to your swanky new site, and apologies for the massive fail that was this post happening in July! *ahem*

I’m Sarah, I teach IT (that sounds like 'I know Kung Fu' from The Matrix heh heh) and Dom is both friendly neighbour and supportive colleague …. win win for me.

I have a nerdy/stitching blog called Pings and Needles (I don’t think anyone gets the Pings pun, ho hum) so please come and visit me over there. I’m currently working on a quilt for a competition at that temple to cryptography Bletchley Park ! …

I proudly present my personal Top 10 Rube Goldberg clips. The general idea behind a Rube Goldberg (or Pythagoras Switch) is to have maximum complexity or stages to accomplish a simple task.

Some of these are epic, some are just put together in people’s homes … go get yourself a cup/glass/yard of refreshment and settle in for some genuinely brilliant stuff.

1. 2D Photography - Watch and Gasp. The detail, oh the detail.


2. Baynham & Tyers - edited, but I love the way it travels through a whole house!


3. Honda - TV ad - just beautiful


4. Ramen noodles! The Japanese presenter is soooo dramatic!


5. Falling Water Cocktail - watch for the tape measure - genius!


6. 'Exercise in Fugality' - George Rhoads - Kinetic Sculpture - strictly speaking this isn’t a Rube Goldberg, but it sounds good and I like it.


7. Creme Egg Squasher


8. Toy Factory - lovin all the nailbiting concentration


9. Random selection of Japanese runs


10. OK Go - music video - you’ve probably seen this already, but it’s worth every second. Live a little - go full screen!


That’s my 10 … I hope you enjoyed a little time wasting - nothing like the amount of time these chaps put into the machines though. I feel happy with that thought.

5 comments:

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Great fun! I only knew them as Heath Robinson contraptions/machines but whatever you call them, they're fabulous!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh Sarah!

Globalism said...

Thanks for stopping by folks - glad you enjoyed Sarah's contribution to this blog!

Eilidh said...

I'm a bit late to the party but I LOVE these! Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time. Thank you!

Globalism said...

Never too late to a party here, Eilidh - thanks for stopping by and glad to have been able to provide you with a little entertainment!