Friday, May 14, 2010

This was Afrobeat!



I had the immense pleasure of seeing this man live tonight - Mr Tony Allen, the co-founder of Afrobeat and Fela Kuti's former drummer. Although I arrived late to the show, the rhythms got me grooving immediately and the strains of the week fell off like scales. An incredible drummer that made it all look so effortless, Allen was a congenial host, the atmosphere was so warm and welcoming, and the music was just fantastic. My feet kept moving for a long time afterwards.

It was my first concert at Brighton Dome, which was a little funny after all the years I spent going to gigs in Brighton. Made it to the Budokan before I set foot in a major venue in my own town. Brian Eno's curating this year's Brighton Festival and had brought Allen to town as part of his programme.

When I lived in Brighton during the 90's, I participated very little in the festival. Now I'm back in town have been determined to take greater advantage of England's biggest arts festival going on for a month on my doorstep. However, with the DELTA hurtling towards a conclusion (of sorts) and the demands of work not leaving me with a great deal of time to kick around town watching the world go by, I've had to let a lot of this year's events pass. Still, every now and again, something happens that you have to just drop things for and just go and do. Tony Allen was just one of them.

Next stop, The Brighton Beach Boys!

2 comments:

idleformat said...

Mate, I can still remember your response from a good few years back when I asked if you were attending any Festival events that year! Glad you're enjoying it a bit more these days ;) If this video is anything to go by I'm not surprised it was a great night!

On another note check this out if you get a spare few minutes (some hope by the sounds of it, I know!) - it's part 1 of 2: http://vimeo.com/1758371 (not sure why but this post reminded me of it)...

Globalism said...

Was I not so interested in the Festival back then? Guess the perspective changes over the years - now I'm back in town it's something that I value much more.

Thanks for the pointer on DJ Derek - what a fantastic story! I'm pretty sure I noticed a poster for him somewhere around here recently...